Moms, Stop the Anxiety!

12 May

Billy and Bobby were talking to each other. Billy was suddenly quiet.

“I’m really worried,” Billy said. “My dad works twelve hours a day to give me a nice home and good food. My mom spends the whole day cleaning and cooking for me. I’m worried sick!”

“Sounds to me like you’ve got it made. You’ve got great parents!” Bobby said. “What have you got to worry about?”

Billy replied: “What if they try to escape?” (1)

Raising kids is always an adventure, and as we approach Mother’s Day, I want to share a post from my young friend, Deedra Scherm. I wrote about Deedra in LOL with God in the devotional, “Lemon Vision” (p. 84). She has energy, passion, and most of all, wisdom. Young, busy moms will instantly identify with her opening words ….

I WORK FROM SON UP TO SON DOWN!

I am the sole female in my household, and three of the four males that live here with me are age seven and under. Being a Mother of All Boys (or MOAB, if you want to be trendy) can wear a Mama out. I read somewhere that toddler boys have 50% more energy than girls. I think I might believe it.

I see my friends with their darling little princess daughters all dressed up with their pillowcase dresses, adorable striped leggings and matching bows on their heads. I just sigh as I scramble to pull the boogers out of the hair of one ~ how’d it get up there? ~ and spray the antibacterial pain relief on the bleeding knee of the other while the third tries to “take down” booger boy with his cardboard sword.

I keep telling myself that in about 12 years, while my friends with all girls will be dealing with a toxic fireball of female teenage hormones, I’ll be sipping lemonade while my boys are mowing the grass, planting my spring flowers, and picking up dinner from my favorite restaurant “so Mama doesn’t have to cook.”  One can hope, right?

There are days that I feel like my heart and my brain are about to explode.

The level of stress that sometimes creeps into my life as I take on the role of Mom is exhausting. I sometimes feel I should know every answer, fix every problem, plan for every single possible scenario, and make sure absolutely nothing ever goes wrong. (OK, maybe this is just a mom issue, regardless of the gender of your kids!) I start to feel like my whole life is about running around taking care of everyone else, and no one is taking care of me!

That feeling is the cue that I’ve missed something very important.

There is a little “rule” we learned in Kindergarten:  “Put things back where they belong.”  I Peter 5:7 says, “cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.” You see, when I start feeling stress about completing the MILLION tasks of the day, dealing with running a business from home, the outcome of a medical test, the future of our family’s finances… I realize that I have kept anxiety with me rather than putting it back where it belongs.

I have to stop anxiety, refuse to carry it, and pass it over to Jesus. When my anxiety is extreme, I will even imagine, as I pray, that I’m holding the problem in my hands and laying it down before the throne of our Lord.

Now, this is not a call to apathy… to just flop around without a single emotion, never caring what happens in life. This is a call to action!  The verse says you are to cast!  And not just cast “some” but to cast “ALL” of your anxiety on Him for a very good reason: He cares for you! This is a determined choice for a very sound reason. God will never leave us, forsake us or fail us.

As I learned to recognize my anxiety, I could see opportunities to say, “Lord, I don’t know the outcome of this situation, but I know you have a plan for me. I trust you to help me with each step and give me the comfort and peace to deal with anything that may come my way.” That’s how I make it to the end of the day with peace and joy… even if I’m constantly surrounded by a bunch of crazy boys.

Deedra Scherm  is married to Kris and they have three active little boys. Between building forts, bandaging skinned knees, and acting out Bible Stories, she is the President and CEO of Lemon Vision Productions which provides inspired media for kids, like Little Buds 123’s DVD. Check out her books and DVDs at www.littlebuds.com.

(1) Adapted from http://www.broadcaster.org.uk/section2/jokes/parentingjokes.html

Advertisements

11 Responses to “Moms, Stop the Anxiety!”

1. Kris May 13, 2012 at 2:44 am #

Amen!

2. Angela Fox May 13, 2012 at 3:18 am #

wish I would have read this about 14 hours earlier – phew, what a day!! Think I’m going to write that verse down on a 3×5 card to remind myself, hopefully I won’t misplace it… Deedra, thanks for the encouragement!!

3. tanyetta May 13, 2012 at 3:42 am #

Very Inspirational! Thank You Deedra for sharing your wisdom and encouragement.

4. tanyetta May 13, 2012 at 3:44 am #

Very Inspirational. Thank You Deedra for sharing words of kindness and encouragement. It’s relieving to know that every stage of mothering is a set up for amazing things to come. Our children look to us for guidance and this article has reminded me that we should take it one day at a time and realize these “milestones” will come and go in a blink of an eye. Thank You for sharing!!!!

5. treasurebearer May 13, 2012 at 4:46 am #

Exactly what I needed to hear tonight, Deedra. Thanks! Happy Mother’s Day!

• Shelly May 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Loved reading this! Sound advice from a voice of experience. Refreshing!!

6. Ann Cooper May 13, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Deedra you have always been one to take on a challenge head on, even as a child. And I can’t thank you enough. You are truly an amazing woman, friend, mother and wife

7. sh2rose May 14, 2012 at 3:29 am #

Deedra,

Your concept of putting things away where they belong and doing the same with your anxieties by giving them to the Lord is exactly what God wanted me to read right now! Thank you!

8. Dawn Wilson May 14, 2012 at 3:37 am #

Ladies, thank you for stopping by to comment on Deedra’s special post. She is a dear friend with wisdom she has gained from her own mom (and dad) and others who have built into her life. I count it a privilege to be her friend, and I’m grateful that she is building not only into her family members’ lives, but also the greater community of women who want to see clear illustrations of biblical womanhood. God bless each one of you.

9. Julie Strait May 21, 2012 at 3:05 am #

Deedra – Your thoughts are always a blessing to read. You are a great example of a godly mother and have been a great example of a godly woman as long as I have known you. Thank you for your encouraging words.

10. Deedra :) June 16, 2012 at 3:32 am #

Thanks Ladies for all your kind words! I hear more and more how mothers are stressed out…and it is so easy to get that way. Between kids, work, home chores and keeping the love in your marriage….oh my do we ever need to rely on the Lord for our strength! Thanks for reading. I hope you were blessed!